BREAKING NEWS: NIST Unveils Public Draft for Strengthening Security of Controlled Unclassified Information
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has just released an initial public draft of a groundbreaking document, SP 800-171, Revision 3. This draft aims to bolster the security requirements and protocols necessary to safeguard sensitive federal information from unauthorized disclosure, in nonfederal systems and organizations.
Key Categories of Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) Requiring Enhanced Protection:
- Protected critical infrastructure information
- Research and technology pertaining to small businesses
- Sensitive personally identifiable information
- Nuclear security-related information
- Defense-controlled technical information
- General financial information
- Confidential health information
This major update serves as a vital step towards strengthening the security posture of nonfederal systems and organizations. It emphasizes the need for active compliance with the enhanced requirements outlined in the draft.
Stay informed and take prompt action to ensure your systems and organizations align with the robust security measures defined in the public draft.