The HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Coordinator & Compliance Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that employees and other assigned individuals protected health information (PHI) remains confidential. The HIPAA Coordinator Compliance Specialist will also handle complaints regarding potential violations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Serves as a neutral, confidential point of contact for employees, patients, plan participants, and other assigned individuals with the need to provide, request, or otherwise transfer PHI.
- Fields and responds to (when able to do so) questions, concerns, and complaints regarding PHI security and HIPAA compliance; escalates complex questions and complaints to the appropriate legal or HIPAA compliance staff.
- Ensures that PHI of employees, plan participants, patients, and/or other assigned individuals is maintained and transmitted in a secure and legally compliant manner.
- Assesses and when permissible, processes requests for PHI.
- Receives and documents complaints concerning possible security breaches; escalates for further investigation as appropriate.
- Investigates possible data breaches or losses; evaluates and recommends appropriate solutions.
- Advises and assists all departments with HIPAA compliance.
- Identifies and assesses compliance risks and concerns.
- Prepare HIPAA related reports and white papers on a weekly basis to be distributed to senior management.
- Extensive knowledge of the requirements of the HIPAA privacy and security rules.
- Extensive knowledge of the organizations health plan and health information policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 and compliance management software.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources or related field required.
- 5 years of experience with HIPAA privacy and security requirements required.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer from home.
- Most be able to drive to client site as needed.